Anti-Scald Valves – Why So Important
After a significant amount of injuries over the years, anti-scald valves were introduced to the market. Otherwise known as mixing or tempering valves, outgoing hot water is mixed with cold water so the fixture itself cannot scald a person when touched. Before we dig a little deeper, here is some interesting information;
- Mostly found in the kitchen and bathrooms, over 2,000 children are scalded each year in the US alone.
- After the scalding, the pain might not be over as it can lead to heart attacks and falls; this is especially true with elderly users.
- Of all the burns each year, around 20% are from scalds.
- As well as causing pain, scalds often lead to hospital stays which can cost a significant amount of money. If severe, skin grafts and even plastic surgery may be required.
- For water at 160 degrees fahrenheit, it takes just half a second to cause scalding.